Applications and Uses of Xanthan Gum
by Terry Zhai 2014-09-24
Xanthan Gum is a polysaccharide widely used as thickener in food production. As a strong thickening agent, Xanthan Gum can be used in a wide variety of industries including: food production, beverage, pharmaceutical, cosmetics, agriculture/animal feed, and various other industries.
Xanthan Gum in Food Production
Xanthan Gum is widely used as thickener, texture stabilizer, emulsifier, and gelling agents in food production.
- As texture stabilizer: In baked food to provide gluten like sticky consistency (also known as gluten free baking); in Sausage to increase shape consistency and retain water; in candy or chewing gum to improve chewiness.
- As gelling agent: in dehydrated food to maintain appearance and flavor; in canned meat to speed up jelly forming.
Xanthan Gum in Beverage
Xanthan Gum is widely used as thickener and emulsifier in beverage.
- As emulsifier: in ice creams to prevent the formation of ice crystals and keep the product smooth.
- As thickener: in juice to improve mouth feel; in other soft drink to improve appearance and taste; in Soy sauce to improve viscosity.
Xanthan Gum in Pharmaceutical
Xanthan Gum is widely used as thickener and texture stabilizer in Pharmaceutical.
- As texture stabilizer: in medicine to improve texture of medicine or slow down release of active ingredients.
Xanthan Gum in Cosmetics
Xanthan Gum is widely used as texture stabilizer and emulsifier in Cosmetics.
- As texture stabilizer: in toothpaste to improve appearance and mouth feel.
Xanthan Gum in Agriculture/Animal Feed
Xanthan Gum is widely used as texture stabilizer and gelling agent in Agriculture/Animal Feed.
- As texture stabilizer: in canned pet food to improve texture and mouth feel.
- As gelling agent: in fish/shrimp feeds to maintain structure of the feeds under water.
Xanthan Gum in Other Industries
Xanthan Gum is widely used as texture stabilizer, thickener, emulsifier, and gelling agent in various other industries. Xanthan Gum is the best drilling mud thickener in oil drilling industry.
- As thickening agent: in oil drilling to improve viscosity of drilling mud. Please check our oil drilling xanthan gum for more details.
- As texture stabilizer: in tobacco and colloidal explosives to maintain the structure of the product.
- As emulsifier: in ceramic and water soluble paint to blend more effectively.
This application file is based on limited review of Foodchem International Corporation. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about Xanthan Gum or want to report new applications of Xanthan Gum to us.