> Xanthan Gum MSDS
Xanthan Gum MSDS
Xanthan Gum MSDS
1. SUBSTANCE IDENTIFICATION
- 1.1. Product Name: Xanthan Gum
- 1.2. Description: Xanthan Gum is a polysaccharide manufactured through fermentation.
- 1.3. Chemical Formula: (C35H49O29)n
- 1.4. Molecular weight: Not Applicable
- 1.5. CAS #: 11138-66-2
- 1.6. EINECS #: 234-394-2
- 1.7. Manufactured by: Foodchem International Corporation, Shanghai China.
- 1.8. Supplied by: Foodchem International Corporation, Shanghai China.
- 1.9. Usage: In food as Thickeners
- 2.1. Xanthan Gum: 91.0 - 108.0%
- 2.2. Hazardous impurities: Negative
3. Physical/Chemical Characteristics
- 3.1. Physical State: Powder
- 3.2. Appearance: white or cream-color and free-flowing powder
- 3.3. Odor: Slight
- 3.4. pH: 6.0 - 8.0 (1% solution in water)
- 3.5. Melting point/range: Not applicable
- 3.6. Boiling point: Not applicable
- 3.7. Bulk density: 550-850 kg/m3
- 3.8. Solubility: Fully soluble in water
- 4.1. Chemical Stability: Stable under normal temperatures and pressures
- 4.2. Shelf Life: 36 months period
- 4.3. Hazardous decomposition: Thermal decomposition may produce carbon monoxide and dioxide
- 4.4. Hazardous polymerization: Will not occur
- 4.5. Incompatible with: Strong oxidizing agents
- 5.1. Storage: stored in a cool and dry place and kept away from strong light and heat.
- 5.2. Handling precaution: Avoid breathing dust; use in an area with adequate ventilation. Avoid contact with skin, eyes or clothing. Wash thoroughly after handling.
6. Exposure Control
- 6.1. Engineering Controls: Use adequate ventilation to keep airborne concentrations low.
- 6.2. Respiratory protection: NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator
- 6.3. Eye Protection: Protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles
- 6.4. Skin Protection: Not required
- 6.5. Other: Consult professionals if Xanthan Gum need to be handled under some special conditions.
7. Hazards Identification
- 7.1. Hazardous overview: Xanthan Gum is not classified as a Dangerous Substance
- 7.2. Contact with eyes: May cause irritation
- 7.3. Contact with skin: May cause irritation, very low chance for usual industrial handling
- 7.4. Ingestion: No hazard expected in normal industrial handling
- 7.5. Inhalation: May cause respiratory tract irritation
- 7.6. Other: Avoid build up of dust particles. Possibility of dust explosion.
8. First Aid Measures
- 8.1. Contact with eyes: Flush immediately with plenty of water for 15 minutes and seek medical advice
- 8.2. Contact with skin: Wash the affected area with water, remove contaminated clothing and launder before re-use. Seek medical advice if irritation persists.
- 8.3. Ingestion: No specific treatment is necessary.
- 8.4. Inhalation: Remove from exposure, move to fresh air and seek medical advice immediately.
9. Fire and Explosion Data
- 9.1. General information: Build up of xanthan gum dust may cause dust explosion
- 9.2. Flash point: Not applicable
- 9.3. Ignition control: Avoid ignition sources where xanthan gum dust might be generated
- 9.4. Dust control: Keep the handling area with adequate ventilation
- 9.5. Extinguishing Media: Water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or chemical foam
- 9.6. Spills/Leaks: Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container
10. Transport Information
- 10.1. No special requirements and no restrictions on transportation by land, sea or air.
11. Ecological Information
- 11.1. Xanthan gum is biodegradable
12. Other Information
- 12.1. This Safety Data Sheet of Xanthan Gum is based upon a limited review of Foodchem Internation Corporation files and standard Toxicological handbooks. We make no warranty of merchantability or any other warranty, express or implied, with respect to such information, and we assume no liability resulting from its use. Users should make their own investigations to determine the suitability of the information for their particular purposes. In no event shall Foodchem International Corporation be liable for any claims, losses, or damages of any third party or for lost profits or any special, indirect, incidental, consequential or exemplary damages, howsoever arising, even if Foodchem International Corporation has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
Copyright@2003-2017 All rights reserved Foodchem International Corporation