No significant side effects reported.
As Benzocaine is widely known as safe, there is no limit on dosage of intake. However, we still recommend consumers to consult professionals before using large quantity of Benzocaine for long period.
Special groups refer to newborns, children, pregnant and any other applicable vulnerable groups.
Benzocaine may have some affect on pregnant or breast-feeding women. We recommend consumers to consult professionals before using Benzocaine in food of pregnant or breast-feeding women.
Generally recognized as safe(GRAS) is a FDA designation that a specific substance or ingredient is generally considered safe by experts, and so is exempted from the usual Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) food additive tolerance requirements. Benzocaine is considered safe by FDA according to existing data and granted GRAS status.
No breaking news or public health crises reported about Benzocaine reported up to now.
* Want to report news about this ingredient, please send email to email@example.com. Your knowledge can help us to uncover more truthes about food ingredients to customers.
1. Reduced discomfort during high-definition transcutaneous stimulation using 6% benzocaine. [Front Neuroeng. 2014 Jul 11]
Author: Guleyupoglu B, Febles N, Minhas P, Hahn C, Bikson M.
2. Tricaine (MS-222) is a safe anesthetic compound compared to benzocaine and pentobarbital to induce anesthesia in leopard frogs (Rana pipiens). [Pharmacol Rep. 2005 Jul-Aug]
Author: Cakir Y, Strauch SM.
3. Reported adverse event cases of methemoglobinemia associated with benzocaine products. [Arch Intern Med. 2004 Jun 14]
Author: Moore TJ, Walsh CS, Cohen MR.
4. Benzocaine induced methemoglobinemia: a potentially fatal complication of transesophageal echocardiography. [Ochsner J. 2003 Spring]
Author: Chander K, Lavie CJ, Ventura HO, Milani RV.
5. Potential for an external vaginal antiitch cream containing benzocaine to cause methemoglobinemia in healthy women. [Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1997 May]
Author: Currie JL, Mott LA, Pennisi SC, Smith BD, Smith RP.