Applications and Uses of Gelatin
by Terry Zhai 2014-09-25
Gelatin is a popular food additive widely used as thickener in food production. As a gelling agent, Gelatin can be used in a wide variety of industries including: food production, beverage, pharmaceutical, cosmetics, and various other industries.
Gelatin in Food Production
Gelatin is widely used as thickener, texture stabilizer, and gelling agent in food production.
- As texture stabilizer: in confectionery to improve taste and production efficiency; in chewy gum to improve elasticity.
- As thickener: in meat and canned food to improve viscosity.
Gelatin in Beverage
Gelatin is widely used as texture stabilizer and cleansing agent in beverage.
- As texture stabilizer: in ice creams to prevent the formation of ice crystals and keep the product smooth.
- As cleansing agent: in juice and soft drinks to remove impurities.
Gelatin in Pharmaceutical
Gelatin is widely used as gelling agent in Pharmaceutical.
- As gelling agent: in manufacturing of capsule.
Gelatin in Cosmetics
Gelatin is widely used as gelling agent in Cosmetics.
- As micro capsule: in cosmetic and personal care product to improve water retention.
Gelatin in Agriculture/Animal Feed
Not enough is known about application of Gelatin in Agriculture/Animal Feed.
Gelatin in Other Industries
Gelatin is widely used as gelling agent in various other industries.
- As dispersant: in photographic film to improve exposure and finishing.
- As coating material: in banknote printing, Metallurgy, textile and leather processing.
This application file is based on limited review of Foodchem International Corporation. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about Gelatin or want to report new applications of Gelatin to us.