Applications and Uses of Konjac Gum
by Terry Zhai 2014-09-24
Konjac Gum is a natural gum widely used as thickener in food production. As a strong gelling agent, Konjac Gum can be used in a wide variety of industries including: food production, beverage, pharmaceutical, cosmetics, agriculture/animal feed, and various other industries.
Konjac Gum in Food Production
Konjac Gum is widely used as thickener, texture stabilizer, emulsifier, and gelling agents in food production.
- As texture stabilizer: In ice cream to provide smooth mouth-feel; in cookie, cake and other baked food to provide loose texture and better appearance; in noodles and rice noodles for better tenacity.
- As preservatives: in meat, fish, fruit and vegetable to extend shelf life.
Konjac Gum in Beverage
Konjac Gum is widely used as emulsifier in beverage.
- As foam stabilizer: in beer to get smoother foam.
- As Gelling agent: in wine and juice to clean up impurities.
Konjac Gum in Pharmaceutical
Konjac Gum is widely used as dietary fiber and gelling agent in Pharmaceutical.
- As dietary fiber: in nutritional supplement to lower Cholesterol level.
- As gelling agent: in eye drop to moist eyes and contact lenses.
Konjac Gum in Cosmetics
Konjac Gum is widely used as texture stabilizer and emulsifier in Cosmetics.
- As emulsifier: in Skin cream and shampoo to improve softness and water retaining ability.
Konjac Gum in Agriculture/Animal Feed
Konjac Gum is widely used as preservative for fruit and texture stabilizer in Agriculture/Animal Feed.
- As semipermeable membrane: on fruit surface to protect fruit from oxidation.
- As texture stabilizer: in animal feeds to maintain structure of the feeds in water.
Konjac Gum in Other Industries
Konjac Gum is widely used as thickener and gelling agent in various other industries.
- As thickening agent: in paper, printing, rubber, ceramics and photographic film to improve viscosity; in drilling mud to improve viscosity.
- As gelling agent: in cosmetic to retain water.
This application file is based on limited review of Foodchem International Corporation. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about Konjac Gum or want to report new applications of Konjac Gum to us.