Titanium Dioxide, CAS# 13463-67-7, is a naturally occurring oxide of titanium manufactured through chemical synthesis from high titanium mineral and strong acid, available as WHITE POWDER. Titanium Dioxide is widely used as colouring agent as it is the whitest substance ever discovered. It is affirmed by US FDA as GRAS(generally recognized as safe) and widely accepted as safe food additive in many countries with E number E171.
No significant side effects reported.
As Titanium Dioxide is widely known as safe, there is no limit on dosage of intake. However, we still recommend consumers to consult professionals before using large quantity of Titanium Dioxide for long period.
Special groups refer to newborns, children, pregnant and any other applicable vulnerable groups.
There is no evidence that Titanium Dioxide could have any negative effects on these vulnerable groups. It should be safe to use Titanium Dioxide in food for newborns and pregnant. However, we still recommend consumers to consult professionals before using large quantity of Titanium Dioxide for long period in food for newborns or pregnant.
Generally recognized as safe(GRAS) is a FDA designation that a specific substance or ingredient is generally considered safe by experts, and so is exempted from the usual Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) food additive tolerance requirements. Titanium Dioxide is considered safe by FDA according to existing data and granted GRAS status.
No breaking news or public health crises reported about Titanium Dioxide reported up to now.
* Want to report news about this ingredient, please send email to email@example.com. Your knowledge can help us to uncover more truthes about food ingredients to customers.
1. Ascorbic Acid for the safe use of a sunscreen agent: accumulation of nano zinc oxide and titanium dioxide on the skin. [Sci Pharm. 2013 Jul 14]
Author: Fathi-Azarbayjani A, Tan PL, Chan YY, Chan SY.
2. Characterization and preliminary toxicity assay of nano-titanium dioxide additive in sugar-coated chewing gum. [Small. 2013 May 27]
Author: Chen XX, Cheng B, Yang YX, Cao A, Liu JH, Du LJ, Liu Y, Zhao Y, Wang H.
3. The effect of irradiation wavelengths and the crystal structures of titanium dioxide on the formation of singlet oxygen for bacterial killing. [J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2012 Sep]
Author: Takahashi C, Tsujimoto Y, Yamamoto Y.
4. Titanium dioxide in our everyday life; is it safe? [Radiol Oncol. 2011 Dec]
Author: Skocaj M, Filipic M, Petkovic J, Novak S.