Silymarin, CAS# 22888-70-6, is a Plant extracts manufactured through plant extraction, available as Yellow to Yellowish-Brown Powder. Silymarin is widely used as nutrition supplements. It is widely accepted as safe food additive in many countries.
No significant side effects reported.
As Silymarin is widely known as safe, there is no limit on dosage of intake. However, we still recommend consumers to consult professionals before using large quantity of Silymarin for long period.
Special groups refer to newborns, children, pregnant and any other applicable vulnerable groups.
There is no evidence that Silymarin could have any negative effects on these vulnerable groups. It should be safe to use Silymarin in food for newborns and pregnant. However, we still recommend consumers to consult professionals before using large quantity of Silymarin for long period in food for newborns or pregnant.
Though Silymarin is not on FDA's GRAS exemption list, it's still widely accepted as safe food additive in many countries including USA with specific limit on dosage.
No health issues about Silymarin reported up to now.
1. Silymarin reduces profibrogenic cytokines and reverses hepatic fibrosis in chronic murine schistosomiasis. [Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014]
Author: Mata-Santos HA, Dutra FF, Rocha CC, Lino FG, Xavier FR, Chinalia LA, Hossy BH, Castelo-Branco MT, Teodoro AJ, Paiva CN, dos Santos Pyrrho A.
2. Meta-analysis: silymarin and its combination therapy for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B. [Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2013 May]
Author: Wei F, Liu SK, Liu XY, Li ZJ, Li B, Zhou YL, Zhang HY, Li YW.
3. In vitro studies on radioprotective efficacy of silymarin against γ-irradiation. [Int J Radiat Biol. 2013 Mar]
Author: Adhikari M, Dhaker A, Adhikari J, Ivanov V, Singh V, Chawla R, Kumar R, Sharma R, Karamalakova Y, Gadjeva V, Arora R.
4. The treatment of melasma by silymarin cream. [BMC Dermatol. 2012 Oct 2]
Author: Altaei T.
5. Reassessing bioavailability of silymarin. [Altern Med Rev. 2011 Sep]
Author: Javed S, Kohli K, Ali M.