> Coumarin MSDS
1. SUBSTANCE IDENTIFICATION
- 1.1. Product Name: Coumarin
- 1.2. Description: Coumarin is a fragrant organic compound manufactured through chemical synthesis.
- 1.3. Chemical Formula: C9H6O2
- 1.4. Molecular weight: 146.14
- 1.5. CAS #: 91-64-5
- 1.6. EINECS #: 202-086-7
- 1.7. Manufactured by: Foodchem International Corporation, Shanghai China.
- 1.8. Supplied by: Foodchem International Corporation, Shanghai China.
- 1.9. Usage: In food as flavour enhancer
- 2.1. Coumarin: >99.9%
- 2.2. Hazardous impurities: Negative
3. Physical/Chemical Characteristics
- 3.1. Physical State: Powder
- 3.2. Appearance: colorless crystal
- 3.3. Odor: pleasant, like vanillabeans
- 3.4. pH: Neutral
- 3.5. Melting point/range: 71 °C (160 °F; 344 K)
- 3.6. Boiling point: 301.71 °C (575.08 °F; 574.86 K)
- 3.7. Bulk density: 0.935 g/cm3 (20 °C)
- 3.8. Solubility: 0.17 g/100 mL
- 4.1. Chemical Stability: Stable under normal temperatures and pressures
- 4.2. Shelf Life: 12 months period
- 4.3. Hazardous decomposition: carbon oxides (CO, CO2).
- 4.4. Hazardous polymerization: Will not occur
- 4.5. Incompatible with: Aldehydes
- 5.1. Storage: Coumarin should be Kept in dry, cool, and shaded place with original packaging, avoid moisture, store at room temperature
- 5.2. Handling precaution: performed by personnel trained and familiar with handling of organic chemicals. Avoid skin and eye contact and breathing in dust. Avoid handling which leads to dust formation.
6. Exposure Control
- 6.1. Engineering Controls: Use process enclosures, local exhaust ventilation, or other engineering controls to keep airborne levels below recommended exposure limits.
- 6.2. Respiratory protection: NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator
- 6.3. Eye Protection: Protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles
- 6.4. Skin Protection: Wear appropriate protective gloves and clothes to minimize skin contact.
- 6.5. Other: Consult professionals if Coumarin need to be handled under some special conditions.
7. Hazards Identification
- 7.1. Hazardous overview: Coumarin is Extremely hazardous in case of ingestion. Hazardous in case of eye contact (irritant), of inhalation. Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant). Severe over-exposure can result in death
- 7.2. Contact with eyes: Cause eye irritation.
- 7.3. Contact with skin: May cause skin irritation.
- 7.4. Ingestion: May irritate the tissues of the mouth, esophagus, and other tissues of the digestive system
- 7.5. Inhalation: May cause irritation to the respiratory tract and gastrointestinal
- 7.6. Other: Not Applicable
8. First Aid Measures
- 8.1. Contact with eyes: Check for and remove any contact lenses. Flush immediately with plenty of water for 15 minutes and seek medical advice
- 8.2. Contact with skin: wash immediately with plenty of water.Gently and thoroughly wash the contaminated skin with running water and non-abrasive soap. Cover the irritated skin with an emollient.Get medical attention if irritation develops.
- 8.3. Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. Examine the lips and mouth to ascertain whether the tissues are damaged, a possible indication that the toxic material was ingested; the absence of such signs, however, is not conclusive. Loosen tight clothing such as a collar, tie, belt or waistband.
- 8.4. Inhalation: Allow the victim to rest in a well ventilated area. Seek immediate medical attention
9. Fire and Explosion Data
- 9.1. General information: May be combustible at high temperature.
- 9.2. Flash point: CLOSED CUP: 162°C (323.6°F).
- 9.3. Ignition control: Avoid ignition sources where Coumarin dust might be generated.
- 9.4. Dust control: Keep the handling area with adequate ventilation
- 9.5. Extinguishing Media: Water spray, dry chemical or carbon dioxide
- 9.6. Spills/Leaks: Use appropriate tools to put the spilled solid in a convenient waste disposal container
10. Transport Information
- 10.1. No special requirements and no restrictions on transportation by land, sea or air.
11. Ecological Information
- 11.1. Coumarin is fully degradation biodegradable.The products of degradation are more toxic.
12. Other Information
- 12.1. This Safety Data Sheet of Coumarin is based upon a limited review of Foodchem Internation Corporation files and standard Toxicological handbooks. We make no warranty of merchantability or any other warranty, express or implied, with respect to such information, and we assume no liability resulting from its use. Users should make their own investigations to determine the suitability of the information for their particular purposes. In no event shall Foodchem International Corporation be liable for any claims, losses, or damages of any third party or for lost profits or any special, indirect, incidental, consequential or exemplary damages, howsoever arising, even if Foodchem International Corporation has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
Copyright@2003-2017 All rights reserved Foodchem International Corporation