No significant side effects reported. Betaine Hydrochloride can cause heartburn in specific groups of individuals.
As Betaine Hydrochloride is widely known as safe, there is no limit on dosage of intake. However, we still recommend consumers to consult professionals before using large quantity of Betaine Hydrochloride for long period.
Special groups refer to newborns, children, pregnant and any other applicable vulnerable groups.
There is no evidence that Betaine Hydrochloride could have any negative effects on these vulnerable groups. It should be safe to use Betaine Hydrochloride in food for newborns and pregnant. However, we still recommend consumers to consult professionals before using large quantity of Betaine Hydrochloride for long period in food for newborns or pregnant.
Though Betaine Hydrochloride is not on FDA's GRAS exemption list, it's still widely accepted as safe food additive in many countries including USA with specific limit on dosage.
No breaking news or public health crises reported about Betaine Hydrochloride reported up to now.
* Want to report news about this ingredient, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your knowledge can help us to uncover more truthes about food ingredients to customers.
1. Potentiometric batch and flow injection analysis of betaine hydrochloride. [Ann Chim. 2007 Mar-Apr]
Author: Badawy SS, Youssef AF, Mutair AA.
2. Molecular association of betaine and betaine hydrochloride in aqueous solutions--a study by Raman spectroscopy. [Biochim Biophys Acta. 2001 Feb 16]
Author: Amorim da Costa A, Leite JE.
3. The sedative, antipyretic and analgesic effects of betaine hydrochloride. [Yao Xue Xue Bao. 1986 Jan]
Author: Xu DY, Yang DL, Ding YS, Deng P.
4. Effect of betaine hydrochloride on broiler chickens when used alone or in combination with vitamin B12. [Vet Med Nauki. 1976]
Author: Bogdanov M, Filipova R, Tsvetkov S.
5. Solid state structure and chemistry of the choline halides and their analogues. Redetermination of the betaine hydrochloride structure, ((CH3)3NCH2COOH)+Cl-. [Acta Crystallogr B. 1970 Oct 15]
Author: Fischer MS, Templeton DH, Zalkin A.